Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 14: Another "Person" In The House

So it's been two full weeks now without any TV. Jeff admitted to me last night that he watched a bit of TV while eating dinner. I was working late and he was bored. We still have infomercials and one "Going Green" TV station available on our downgraded DishNetwork, so I guess that's what he was watching. I've been very busy this week, so I haven't had much time to be bored or to miss TV as much as last week. I got a couple new books from the library yesterday that I'm looking forward to reading, the basement needs painting, and hopefully the weather will be nice enough to get outside and bike more. I still do miss it in the late evenings though when I'd usually be up late watching TV. I've been thinking - why do I miss it so much? I think the TV is kind of like another person in the room. Perhaps not a person I can chat back and forth with, but let's face it, the TV can be a pretty good "friend". It makes you laugh. It keeps you informed. It let's you just zone out if you want. It doesn't demand anything from you. Short of a power outage, it's pretty predictable in meeting my entertainment needs. On any given night I could scan my DVR list and select from dozens of different programs depending on my mood: funny, serious, reality, thought provoking, enlightening, music, drama. It was all there. And let's not forget about my trusty "friend" - Food. TV and Food together can be a great pair of "friends", or so it seems. So I guess we have one less "person" in our house these days and we're still getting used to life without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment